Mother Tongue Language
To nurture students who are competent and confident in using MTL in their daily communications. To achieve quality grades and value-added results in the national exams for MTLs (Chinese Language/Malay Language /Tamil Language).
Students should be creative and develop an inquiring mind through active participation in MTLs enrichment programmes and cultural activities. Students should also appreciate diverse views and communicate effectively in their MTLs.
MTL department has enrichment programmes and cultural activities for student engagement and enhanced learning of the MTLs. There are also international exposure opportunities for students.
The department focuses on inculcating values in students and enables students to develop an appreciation for Chinese, Malay and Indian ethnic cultures. We also seek to establish collaborations with parents and other key partners for the holistic development of our students.
Our MTL curriculum seeks to:
• Enhance the language ability of our students in the mother tongue language through listening, speaking, reading, writing language skills.
• Strengthen the communication skills of our students in their respective mother tongue language to prepare students well to communicate and interact with people from diverse backgrounds in the increasing globalized workforce.
• Making Thinking Visible
• Flipped Classroom
• Collaborative Learning
In line with the MOE recommended assessment guidelines, students are assessed based on), School-Based Assessment (Examinations) for Sec 1-3 (Sec 1 will only have End-of-Year Examinations in 2019), Mock National Based Exam Format at Sec 4&5.
• Tamil Poem Competition 2017:
• Monica Daniel, 2E1
• Sushmitha Krishnan, 2E1
• Nanum Oru Padaippali 2017, by MOE CPDD
• Silver Award (Budding Writer): Nor Habib, 4E2
• Malay Essay Writing Contest 2017 (National Level- Secondary)
- PUTRI SYAZRIQHA NATASYA BINTE MUHAMMAD YUSOF, 1E1- Silver Award
- RHEZIAN ARDINI BINTE KHYRONNY, 1E1- Silver Award
- SITI UMAIRAH BINTE MUHAMMED YUSNI, 1E1- Silver Award
- AARON CHRISTOPHER HALIM, 1E1, Silver Award
- SYAMIRUL BIN SABIRIN, 1E1- Silver Award
- INSYIRAH NURAIN BTE MUHAMMAD H, 2E1- Gold Award
- LAILA NURSA'IMAH BTE MAS IMRAN, 3E1- Gold Award
- NOR SA'ADAH BTE ABBAS, 4N1- Gold Award
• Cluster West 6 Chinese Public Speaking Workshop- Consolation Award
- Ng Qian Yu, 2E1
- Wang Zhiyu, 2E1
• Inter-School Theatresports Championship 2017, 1st Runner Up
- Liew Yew Hong, 2E1
- Thum Kei Kuan, 2E1
- Joseph Ng Jun Xiang, 2E1
- Bryan Lim Chun Hao, 2N1
- Killi Valavan Rahul, 1E1
- Arul Doss Manoj, 3E1
- He Si Li, 2N1
- Chuah Yen Yee, 2E1
- Cheng Kexin, 2E1
- Yang Haorui, 2E1
- Cheng Ke Xin 2E1
- Wang Zhi Yu 3E1
- Wang Zhi Yu 3E1
- Singapore Centre for Chinese Language
- West Zone, Clusters W6 & W8
- Peking University University Affiliated High School- Shijingshan Middle School